GEARWORKS SUMMER ACADEMY
JULY 18-19, 2018 DENTON HS
This educational camp centers around helping motivated color guard, percussion, and wind students hone their technique, performance, and leadership skills. From beginning to advanced, students of all experience levels are invited to learn alongside members and staff of The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps, the 7-time DCI World Champions.
Over the course of this two-day learning event, students will dive into the GearWORKS Methods detailing the technique approach used by The Cavaliers, Cavaliers Indoor Percussion, and Chromium Winds. The Summer Academy will conclude with an exclusive side-by-side performance with the 2018 Cavaliers!
Full Summer Academy Faculty coming soon!
Master Class sessions on Thursday, July 19 with The Cavaliers' lead educators Kevin LeBoeuf (Brass), Travis Speice (Color Guard), and Joe Hobbs (Percussion).
Denton High School
1007 Fulton St, Denton, TX 76201
Please do not arrive onsite before 8am each day.
GearWORKS and The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps will NOT provide transit for students during this event.
Check in/Registration for this event will be at 8:30 am CST.
Please plan to arrive at Denton High School no earlier than 8am.
Wednesday, July 18
8:30a – Check-in/Registration at Denton HS
9:00a – Kick Off Meeting (all parents and guardians welcome to attend)
9:15a – Camp Starts: Split into sections to learn from GearWORKS instructors
1:30p - Lunch with The Cavaliers (provided by GearWORKS)
2:30p - Camp Resumes: Split into sections to learn from GearWORKS instructors
5:00p – Day One Concludes (Parents/Guardians can pickup students at Denton HS)
Thursday, July 19
8:30a - Check-in/Registration at Denton HS
9:00a - Kick Off Day 2 Meeting (all parents and guardians welcome to attend)
9:15a - Camp Starts: Split into sections to learn from GearWORKS instructors; 11:30am Master Class and joint-learning sessions with The Cavaliers
1:00p - Lunch with The Cavaliers (provided by GearWORKS, campers will eat lunch alongside members of The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps)
2:00p - Camp Resumes: Sectionals
3:30p - Show and Tell (Parents and Guardians Welcome)
4:10p - Watch The Cavaliers perform their 2018 program, "On Madness and Creativity"
5:00p - Day Two Concludes (Wrap-up meeting, distribute tickets to the DCI NORTH TEXAS SHOW, Group Photos) Parents and Guardians can pickup their students at Denton HS or from the field AFTER wrap-up meeting. Please plan time for ticket distribution and pictures after camp concludes.
THE LINEUP FOR DCI NORTH TEXAS FEATURES:
The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL
Carolina Crown - Fort Mill, SC
The Cadets - Allentown, PA
Blue Knights - Denver, CO
Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL
Crossmen - San Antonio, TX
The Academy - Tempe, AZ
Colts - Dubuque, IA
Mandarins - Sacramento, CA
Troopers - Casper, WY
Music City - Nashville, TN
Arsenal - Albuquerque, NM
CH Collins Athletic Complex
1500 Long Rd.
Denton, TX 76207
What is Provided
- Instruction with members of The Cavaliers and GearWORKS family of educators
- Educational materials, including music
- GearWORKS Summer Academy Shirt
- A joint-lunch on Wednesday and Thursday with members of the 2018 Cavaliers
- FREE ticket to the 2018 DCI North Texas Show held Saturday night at CH Collins Athletic Complex
WHAT TO BRING
GearWORKS students should plan on bringing the following items with them during this event:
- Instrument/Equipment (Brass, WW, and Color Guard only; percussion equipment provided)
- Sticks or mallets and drum pad
- Gloves (Brass and Color Guard students only)
- Baseball Hat, Visor, or Bandana (for protection from the sun)
- Athletic Shoes and Athletic Apparel (please check weather and make sure your student has the appropriate attire)
- Rain Gear (Students may be outside during light rain conditions, however if severe weather is present, we will monitor the weather systems and ALL educational opportunities will happen in an indoor facility)
- Bug spray
- Backpack (to store all of your students gear, make sure backpacks are properly labeled with your FULL name)
- Pencil/Binder for musicians
- Water Bottles (please bring a personal water jug with ice so that your student has access to water in all rehearsal locations)
No dress code is formally enforced. Students should dress comfortably while keeping in mind the weather. Athletic shoes and athletic apparel is recommended. Students will be provided with a GearWORKS camp T-shirt that they will wear on Saturdays camp event.
Students are not allowed to leave the campus area unless accompanied by a verified parent/guardian, or have been approved to leave by the legal parent/guardian. They may not have “guests” at or during the clinic. Participants leaving with a parent/guardian or approved person must sign out and in with the clinic administrator. This includes early departure from the clinic.
KEY CONTACT INFO
Chris Lugo, Executive Director
Kira Parks, Admin (Available During Time of Event ONLY)
The Cavaliers' Office