GEARWORKS SUMMER ACADEMY
JUNE 29th-30th, 2018 HINSDALE SOUTH HS
This educational camp centers around helping motivated color guard, percussion, and wind students hone their technique, performance, and leadership skills. From beginning to advanced, students of all experience levels are invited to learn alongside members and staff of The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps, the 7-time DCI World Champions.
Over the course of this two-day learning event, students will dive into the GearWORKS Methods detailing the technique approach used by The Cavaliers, Cavaliers Indoor Percussion, and Chromium Winds. The Summer Academy will conclude with an exclusive side-by-side performance with the 2018 Cavaliers!
Admin: Chris Lugo and Kira Parks
Color Guard: Tommy Allen, Ethan Marcus, and Darren Martin
Percussion: Anthony Hish, Tyler Brooks, and Nathan Huxtable
Winds: Jeremy Stevens and Jordan Yi
Master Class sessions on Saturday, June 30 with The Cavaliers' lead educators Kevin LeBoeuf (Brass), Travis Speice (Color Guard), and Rick Rodriguez (Percussion)
Hinsdale South High School
7401 Clarendon Hills Rd.
Darien, IL 60561
PARKING: Parents may drop off their student at Hinsdale South HS on the NORTH side of the building at Door 8. Students may drive themselves to the clinic, and parking is free in the lot near Door 8.
Please do not arrive before 8am each day.
GearWORKS and The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps will NOT provide transit for students during this event. If you are driving your student please plan to arrive at Hinsdale South High School no earlier than 8am.
Check in/Registration for this event will be at 8:30 am CST. Please head to the Hinsdale South Door 8 Entrance
Friday, June 29
8:30a – Check-in/Registration at Hinsdale South Door 8 Entrance
9:15a – Kick Off Meeting (all parents and guardians welcome to attend)
9:45a – Camp Starts: Split into sections to learn from GearWORKS instructors
1:00p - Lunch (provided by GearWORKS)
1:45p - Camp Resumes: Split into sections to learn from GearWORKS instructors
5:00p – Day One Concludes (Parents/Guardians can pickup students at Hinsdale South Door 8 Entrance)
Saturday, June 30
8:30a - Check-in/Registration at Hinsdale South Door 8 Entrance
9:00a - Kick Off Day 2 Meeting (all parents and guardians welcome to attend)
9:15a - Camp Starts: Split into sections to learn from GearWORKS instructors
1:00p - Lunch with The Cavaliers (provided by GearWORKS, campers will eat lunch alongside members of The Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps)
2:00p - Camp Resumes: Master Class and joint-learning sessions with The Cavaliers
3:30p - Show and Tell (Parents and Guardians Welcome)
4:10p - Watch The Cavaliers perform their 2018 program, "On Madness and Creativity"
5:00p - Day Two Concludes (Wrap-up meeting, distribute tickets to the Cavalcade of Brass, Group Photos) Parents and Guardians can pickup their students at Hinsdale South Door 8 Entrance or from the field AFTER wrap-up meeting. Please plan time for ticket distribution and pictures after camp concludes.
What is Provided
- Instruction with members of The Cavaliers and GearWORKS family of educators
- Educational materials, including music
- GearWORKS Summer Academy Shirt
- Lunch provided on Friday and a joint-lunch on Saturday with members of the 2018 Cavaliers
- FREE ticket to the 2018 Cavalcade of Brass held Saturday night at Benedictine University
WHAT TO BRING
GearWORKS students should plan on bringing the following items with them during this event:
- Instrument/Equipment (Brass, WW, and Color Guard only; percussion equipment provided)
- Sticks or mallets and drum pad
- Gloves (Brass and Color Guard students only)
- Baseball Hat, Visor, or Bandana (for protection from the sun)
- Athletic Shoes and Athletic Apparel (please check weather and make sure your student has the appropriate attire)
- Rain Gear (Students may be outside during light rain conditions, however if severe weather is present, we will monitor the weather systems and ALL educational opportunities will happen in an indoor facility)
- Bug spray
- Backpack (to store all of your students gear, make sure backpacks are properly labeled with your FULL name)
- Pencil/Binder for musicians
- Water Bottles (please bring a personal water jug with ice so that your student has access to water in all rehearsal locations)
No dress code is formally enforced. Students should dress comfortably while keeping in mind the weather. Athletic shoes and athletic apparel is recommended.
Students are not allowed to leave the campus area unless accompanied by a verified parent/guardian, or have been approved to leave by the legal parent/ guardian. They may not have “guests” at or during the clinic. Participants leaving with a parent/guardian or approved person must sign out and in with the clinic administrator. This includes early departure from the clinic.
KEY CONTACT INFO
Chris Lugo, Executive Director
Kira Parks, Admin
The Cavaliers' Office